Bachelor of Business Science
The Bachelor of Business Science (BBusSci) is a four-year Honours level degree providing for a scientifically based study of economic and management sciences, "premised on the application of quantitative methods". The degree is offered in South Africa, and elsewhere in the Commonwealth.
The BBusSci "allows for intensive specialization" in the degree major and thus comprises a four-year Honours level program. It differs from the Bachelor of Commerce (BComm) - the three year Bachelor's degree in business and economics usually offered in South Africa - in that, additional to the treatment of the major, all students are exposed to management theory in some depth. Further, majors in various quantitative-based subjects are available under the BBusSci, while these are not offered in (most) BComm programs; relatedly, all students must take a full first-year mathematics course, in addition to courses in statistics. For a comparison with other undergraduate degrees in business and management, see discussion under Bachelor's degree, and compare Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.
A student reading the Business Science degree will be able to specialise in the following subjects:
The degree is offered by several South African universities (all offer the BComm): The University of Cape Town has offered the BBusSci degree since 1968; The University of KwaZulu Natal, Rhodes University and Monash University in South Africa have offered the degree more recently. The University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) and UNISA both have departments of business and management "Science", although do not grant the BBusSci qualification; Wits, in its BComm, requires compulsory credits in "Computational Mathematics" (calculus and matrix algebra) and statistics, and allows Commerce students to major in quantitative subjects - if combined with economics - through the BEconSci.
- Bachelor of Accountancy
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Public Administration
- Rhodes University: FACULTY OF COMMERCE
- Faculty of Management Studies: UKZN
- Management Studies: Faculty of Commerce at the University of Cape Town
- Monash University Handbook 2011
- Wits: School of Economic & Business Sciences
- UNISA: School of Management Sciences
- BCom Curriculum, wits.ac.za
- Undergraduate: BEconSci, wits.ac.za
- University of Delhi: Course information Archived April 9, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Strathmore University: School of Finance and Applied Economics