Best Of – Volume I (Van Halen album)
|Best Of – Volume I|
|Greatest hits album by Van Halen|
|Released||October 22, 1996|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Producer||Ted Templeman, Van Halen, Mick Jones, Donn Landee, Andy Johns, Bruce Fairbairn, Glen Ballard|
|Van Halen chronology|
|Singles from Best Of – Volume I|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide||link|
The album does not contain any songs from the band's 1982 album Diver Down. Best Of – Volume I also features "Humans Being," the band's contribution to the Twister soundtrack. The two newly recorded songs, "Can't Get This Stuff No More" and "Me Wise Magic," at the end of the album are with original lead vocalist David Lee Roth. These two songs were released as singles to promote this compilation. They are also the last songs recorded by the original Van Halen lineup of Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Roth and Michael Anthony. The Van Halen brothers would not record again with Roth until the album A Different Kind of Truth, released in 2012. Anthony has not played with Van Halen since the band's 2004 tour.
Initial pressings of the album contained an alternate edit of "Runnin' with the Devil" where the verses, chorus and solos were arranged in a different order than that of the original album version. It was reported that this was accidental and subsequent pressings have replaced this version with the one found on Van Halen. However, some radio stations still play this erroneous version of the song.
The album itself, while not controversial, sparked a great deal of in-band controversy because of the personnel issues surrounding the band at the time. Sammy Hagar, who by this time had been a member of Van Halen for eleven years, equal to the amount of time as the previous lead vocalist, David Lee Roth, left the band in June 1996 due to a number of unclear circumstances. Some sources reported that Hagar was dissatisfied with the decision to issue a "greatest hits" collection, and was instead more inclined to do an entirely new album of new material. In either case, the band announced that Hagar had left the band and the band was instead working with David Lee Roth on new material for inclusion on the disc. This was not to last, as Roth and Eddie Van Halen clashed publicly and the band once again was without a lead singer, before hiring Gary Cherone. All songs except "Humans Being", "Can't Get This Stuff No More", and "Me Wise Magic" are included on the band's subsequent greatest hits album The Best of Both Worlds (2004).
Despite the aforementioned friction, the album went on to win Metal Edge magazine's 1996 Readers' Choice Award for "Best Hits or Compilation Album". Hagar shares the accolade with Roth, since the album features material from both singers. Also, the song "Humans Being" (featured on both the album and the Twister film soundtrack) was voted "Best Song From a Movie Soundtrack."
|1.||"Eruption"||Van Halen, 1978||1:42|
|2.||"Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love"||Van Halen||3:47|
|3.||"Runnin' with the Devil"||Van Halen||3:32|
|4.||"Dance the Night Away"||Van Halen II, 1979||3:04|
|5.||"And the Cradle Will Rock..."||Women and Children First, 1980||3:31|
|6.||"Unchained"||Fair Warning, 1981||3:27|
|9.||"Why Can't This Be Love"||5150, 1986||3:45|
|11.||"When It's Love"||OU812, 1988||5:36|
|12.||"Poundcake"||For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, 1991||5:22|
|13.||"Right Now"||For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge||5:21|
|14.||"Can't Stop Lovin' You"||Balance, 1995||4:08|
|15.||"Humans Being"||Twister soundtrack, 1996||5:14|
|16.||"Can't Get This Stuff No More"||New recording, 1996||5:16|
|17.||"Me Wise Magic"||New recording, 1996||6:09|
- Eddie Van Halen – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
- Alex Van Halen – drums, percussion, producer
- Michael Anthony – bass, backing vocals, producer
- David Lee Roth – lead vocals, producer (1-8, 16 & 17)
- Sammy Hagar – lead vocals, producer (9-15)
- Ted Templeman – producer
- Don Landee – engineer, producer
- Mick Jones – producer
- Andy Johns – producer
- Bruce Fairbairn – producer
- Erwin Musper – engineer
- Glen Ballard – producer
|Australian Top 50 Albums||11|
|Austrian Top 75 Albums||16|
|Canadian Top Albums||1|
|Finnish Top 50 Albums||3|
|Netherlands Top 100 Albums||12|
|New Zealand Top 50 Albums||2|
|Norwegian Top 40 Albums||36|
|Swedish Top 60 Albums||19|
|Swiss Top 100 Albums||26|
|UK Albums Chart||45|
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Catalog Albums||21|
|US Hard Rock Albums||18|
Billboard (North America)
|1996||"Humans Being"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|1996||"Me Wise Magic"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|1997||"Can't Get This Stuff No More"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||12|
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||300,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||6× Platinum||6,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Best of Volume I (CD liner). Van Halen. Warner Bros. Records. 1996. 9 46332-2.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: The Best of Van Halen, Vol. 1". Robert Christgau.
- Metal Edge, June 1997
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). Australian Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). Austrian Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "100 Albums (CD's & Cassettes)" (PHP). RPM. 64 (13). November 11, 1996. ISSN 0315-5994. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). Finnish Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Chartverfolgung / Van Halen / Longplay". Music Line (in German). Media Control Charts. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). Dutch Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). New Zealand Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). Norwegian Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). Swedish Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Van Halen – Best of – Volume 1 (Album)" (ASP). Swiss Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Artist Chart History: Van Halen". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "Best of Van Halen, Vol. 1 – Van Halen". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1997 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Brazilian album certifications – Van Halen – Best of Van Halen" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – Van Halen – Best of - Volume 1". Music Canada.
- "Van Halen" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Van Halen; 'Best of Volume 1')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "British album certifications – Van Halen – Best of - Vol I". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Best of - Vol I in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Van Halen – Best of, Volume I". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Recovering the Satellites by Counting Crows
|Billboard 200 number-one album
November 9–15, 1996
| Succeeded by|
Anthology 3 by The Beatles