Irving Leroy Ress
|Irving Leroy Ress|
August 23, 1904|
New York City, New York, U.S.
September 16, 1962 58) (aged|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Faye Lindenbaum (1936–1941, divorced)|
Irving Leroy Ress (August 23, 1904 – September 16, 1962) was a prominent Beverly Hills physician and obstetrician.
Irving Ress, born in New York City, was the son of Henry Mitchell Ress, a Russian immigrant jewelry manufacturer, and Anna (née Jaffee) Ress. Ress graduated from Cornell University, where he was a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi, in 1925 and from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago, Illinois in 1929. Ress interned at Michael Reese Hospital. He was licensed in California in 1931 and was on the medical staff of Cedars of Lebanon Hospital.
Beverly Hills Physician
In 1943, Ress successfully treated Oscar-winning actress Katina Paxinou for peritonitis. In 1951, Ress successfully treated My Friend Irma actress Marie Wilson for a blood infection acquired after a vitamin injection. Wilson was in a coma with a temperature of 105° when brought to the hospital. Ress was obstetrician for the wives of Pat O'Brien (actor) and Eddie Cantor. He was physician to the actress Betty Bryant.
Ress died in Los Angeles, California.
Irving Ress (left), Charles Coburn (right), ca 1950.
Irving Ress (left) and Red Skelton (right), ca 1950.
Guy Kibbee (left), Irving Ress (center), ca 1950.
Joe E. Brown and Irving Ress (right)
Carl Laemmle (seated far right) and Irving Ress (sitting, far left) at Laemmle's 70th birthday celebration, 1937.
- Who's who in California, Volume 3. Who's Who Historical Society, 1960, p 125
- Katina Paxinou Has Relapse, New York Times (October 3, 1943)
- Improvement noted in actress’ condition, Reading Eagle (May 17, 1951)
- Herbert G. Goldman. Banjo Eyes: Eddie Cantor and the Birth of Modern Stardom. Oxford University Press, 1997 p 215
- Pat O'Brien. THE WIND AT MY BACK The Life and Times of Pat O'Brien. Doubleday & Company, Inc.; 1st edition (1964) p 288
- Tom Weaver and Michael Brunas. Universal Horrors. McFarland & Company; 2nd edition (February 15, 2007) p 481