Joseph Toussaint Reinaud
Joseph Toussaint Reinaud (4 December 1795 – 14 May 1867) was a French orientalist.
Joseph Toussaint Reinaud
Gravesite of Reinaud at Père Lachaise Cemetery (division 66)
|Born||4 December 1795|
|Died||14 May 1867 71) (aged|
Joseph Toussaint Reinaud was born at Lambesc, Bouches-du-Rhône. He came to Paris in 1815, and became a pupil of Silvestre de Sacy. In 1818-19 he was at Rome as an attaché to the French minister, during which time, he conducted investigations of manuscripts.
In 1824 he entered the department of oriental manuscripts in the Royal Library at Paris, and in 1838, on the death of De Sacy, he succeeded to his chair in the School of Living Oriental Languages. In 1847 he became president of the Asiatic Society, and in 1858 conservator of oriental manuscripts in the Imperial Library.
His first important work was his classic description of the collections of the Duc de Blacas (1828). To history he contributed an essay on the Arab invasions of France, Savoy, Piedmont and Switzerland (Invasions des Sarrazins en France, et de France en Savoie, en Piémont et dans la Suisse, 1836), and various collections for the period of the crusades; he edited (1840), and in part translated (1848), the geography of Abulfeda.
To him too is due a useful edition of the very curious records of early Arab intercourse with China of which Eusèbe Renaudot had given but an imperfect translation (Relation des voyages, etc., 1845), and various other essays illustrating the ancient and medieval geography of the East.
- Gilman, Daniel Coit; Peck, Harry Thurston; Colby, Frank Moore (1906). The New International Encyclopaedia. Dodd, Mead. p. 2.
- L'institut journal general des societes et travaux scientifiques de la France et de l'etranger. Section 2. Sciences historiques et philosophiques (in French). Aux Bureaux du Journal. 1867. p. 105.
- Annuaire de l'Association pour l'encouragement des études grecques en France (in French). 1–5. A. Durand et Pedrone Lauriel. 1867. p. 49.
- Joseph Toussaint Reinaud (1795-1867) data.bnf.fr
- Description des monumens musulmans du cabinet de M. le duc de Blacas
- Thatcher, Abulfeda by Griffithes Wheeler (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 1 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 80.. In Chisholm, Hugh (ed.).
- Works by Joseph Toussaint Reinaud at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Joseph Toussaint Reinaud at Internet Archive
- Encyclopædia Britannica. 23 (11th ed.). 1911. p. 55. .