|Occupation(s)||Musician, record producer|
Beinhorn started his professional career as a musician, playing keyboards in Bill Laswell's band, Material (originally the backing band for Daevid Allen's New York Gong LP, 1979) during the early 1980s. He worked with the jazz musician Herbie Hancock, performing on Hancock's Future Shock album, which contained the hit single "Rockit". Like most tracks on the album, except for the title track, "Rock It" was co-written by Beinhorn and Laswell, originally for the follow-up album to Material's One Down before Hancock became involved. "Rockit" quickly became a Billboard #1, and is regarded as one of hip hop's seminal hits; it was the first release to contain recorded DJ scratching.
Looking for the best way to capture a broad frequency range during the recording process, Beinhorn devised the Ultra Analog Recording format. This process utilizes two inch magnetic tape, running on a custom built 8 track head stack.
Beinhorn has since produced the albums of several musicians including The Blizzards, Korn, Marilyn Manson, Soundgarden, Soul Asylum, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hole, The Verve Pipe, Raging Slab, Ozzy Osbourne, Mew, Social Distortion, The Golden Palominos, Foam and Black Label Society.
In 2015, Beinhorn wrote a book called Unlocking Creativity (published by Hal Leonard) which outlines his personal experience with the creative process as a record producer.
- 1983: Future Shock - Herbie Hancock
- 1987: The Uplift Mofo Party Plan - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 1989: Mother's Milk - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 1990: Mercurotones - The Buck Pets
- 1991: Why Do Birds Sing? - Violent Femmes
- 1991: Hot Diggity - Raw Youth
- 1992: Grave Dancers Union - Soul Asylum
- 1992: Soul Martini - Cavedogs
- 1994: Superunknown - Soundgarden
- 1994: "Blind Man" and "Walk on Water" - Aerosmith
- 1995: Ozzmosis - Ozzy Osbourne
- 1996: White Light, White Heat, White Trash - Social Distortion
- 1997: Big Windshield Little Mirror - Foam
- 1998: Celebrity Skin - Hole
- 1998: Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson
- 1999: The Verve Pipe - The Verve Pipe
- 2002: Untouchables - Korn
- 2003: Natural Selection - Fuel
- 2003: Greatest Hits - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 2004: Lest We Forget: The Best Of - Marilyn Manson
- 2005: Permanent Record: The Very Best of Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
- 2005: The Best of Fuel - Fuel
- 2005: And the Glass Handed Kites - Mew
- 2006: A Public Display of Affection - The Blizzards
- 2006: Shot to Hell - Black Label Society
- 2006: The Bronx - The Bronx
- 2007: Everything Last Winter - Fields
- 2008: The Sucker Punch Show - Lovedrug
- 2008: Domino Effect - The Blizzards
- 2010: Nobody's Daughter - Hole
- 2015: + - - Mew
- Bambarger, Bradley (30 July 1994). "For Soundgarden, Soul Asylum Producer Michael Beinhorn, Personality Is Paramount". Billboard. Vol. 106 no. 31. p. 110. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Michael Beinhorn Discography by Christian Genzel
- Michael Beinhorn biography at Artists Direct
- How To Save Popular Music