Left to right: Coats, Rubalcaba, Morris, and McDonald in 2012
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Redd Kross, Burning Brides, Rocket from the Crypt, Hot Snakes, Earthless, Battalion Of Saints|
Steven Shane McDonald
Off! was formed in Los Angeles, California in late 2009 by Circle Jerks/Black Flag singer Keith Morris, Burning Brides frontman Dimitri Coats, Redd Kross bassist Steven Shane McDonald, and Rocket From The Crypt/Hot Snakes drummer Mario Rubalcaba. The idea to form the band came after Coats had worked as producer on a Circle Jerks album which fell apart. During that time, Coats and Morris had written several songs together which they used to start Off!. The group made its live debut at the 2010 South By Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas. Off!'s first Los Angeles show featured an original art installation by Raymond Pettibon at a downtown warehouse space.
The first release by Off! is a 7" vinyl EP called 1st EP, which debuted on October 13, 2010. That EP, along with three more EPs, were later released as a four 7" vinyl box set entitled First Four EPs on December 14, 2010. The collection contains sixteen songs and features artwork by Raymond Pettibon.
In 2012, Off! released a full-length self-titled album. In April 2014, the band released their third album, Wasted Years. Each of their albums has featured cover art by Pettibon and each is 16 tracks long.
Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers has been one of Morris' friends for over thirty years (Morris at one point in the 80s filled in for Kiedis, who was off scoring drugs and missed his band's show), and is a huge fan and supporter of Off!. At every date on the Chili Peppers I'm with You World Tour, Kiedis has worn an Off! hat to promote the band. He has also sported the hat in some of the band's music videos. Off!, despite some backlash from punk fans, opened a few shows for the Chili Peppers during the tour. Morris said “I’ve known Anthony since the beginning of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anthony and Flea are my friends and if I want to go out and play shows with some of my friends, I’m going to. I’ve been playing music for over 33 years, and I have some friends that are in extremely large bands. We could go out night after night and play to people who know who we are, and that’s all fan-fucking-tastic, but part of our job is to take it up a couple of notches. Those people may hate us, but maybe they’ll love us. There’s only one way to find out and that’s to do it.”
- Keith Morris – vocals
- Dimitri Coats – guitar
- Steven Shane McDonald – bass guitar
- Mario Rubalcaba – drums
- Live at 9:30 Club (2013)
- Live From the BBC (2015)
- 1st EP (2010)
- "Compared to What" (2011)
- Live at Generation Records (2011)
- Sugar Daddy Live Split Series Vol. 3 (split with the Melvins) (2012)
- "Learn to Obey" (2014)
- The Music of Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
- Features the exclusive track "What's Next?"
|Sept. 23, 2010||"Upside Down"||First Four EPs|
|Sept. 27, 2010||"Darkness"||First Four EPs|
|Oct. 7, 2010||"Black Thoughts"||First Four EPs|
|Oct. 19, 2010||"I Don't Belong"||First Four EPs|
|April 14, 2012||"Wiped Out"||Off!|
|June 10, 2012||"Cracked"||Off!|
|July 11, 2012||"Borrow and Bomb/I Got News For You"||Off!|
|Oct. 12, 2012||"Wrong"||Off!|
|Feb. 14, 2014||"Void You Out"||Wasted Years|
|March 7, 2014||"Hypnotized"||Wasted Years|
|May 5, 2014||"Red White and Black"||Wasted Years|
- "Q&A: Keith Morris of Off! On Greg Ginn, The Black Flag Days And SST Records". The Village Voice. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Official band site. Features news, tours, articles, songs, photos, official merchandise, and links". Burning Brides. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "2010 Showcasing Bands by Day/Venue". SXSW.com. 2009-04-18. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Keith Morris forms OFF! supergroup, played SXSW w/ Torche, Gun Outfit, Audacity, Charlie & The Moonhearts, others (pics)". Brooklynvegan.com. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Interviews: Keith Morris (Off!, Black Flag, Circle Jerks)". punknews.org. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- "Off! That Outsider Feeling". laweekly.com. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- "Off-1st-EP". discogs.com. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- "Off! - First Four EPs (Box Set)". interpunk.com. Retrieved 2011-01-15.
- Pelly, Jenn (January 15, 2014). "OFF! Announce New Album, Wasted Years". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- "Off! | Summer 2013". Bigdayout.com. 2012-08-15. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- "Off! - 1st EP". Interpunk.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "RSD 2014 Exclusive Off! x Obey Giant "Learn To Obey" 7" Single Vinyl Record". The Blot Says.com. March 21, 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Off!.|
- Official website
- Radio Interview - Keith Morris
- Off! Interview with RocknRollDating (Keith Morris and Steven McDonald)