Saado Ali Warsame
|Saado Ali Warsame |
سادو علي ورسمه
|Member of the Federal Parliament of Somalia|
20 August 2012 – 23 July 2014
|Prime Minister||Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed|
23 July 2014|
Saado Ali Warsame (Somali: Saado Cali Warsame, Arabic: سادو علي ورسمه) (b. 1950–d. 23 July 2014) was a Somali-American singer-songwriter and politician. She served as a lawmaker in the Federal Parliament of Somalia. A prominent figure in traditional Somali music, her art and legislative work were centered on political and social justice. She was killed by Islamists in 2014.
Warsame was a prominent figure in traditional Somali music. Her art was noted for its emphasis on political and social justice, as well as nationalism and romantic love. She often made use of satire, metaphor and historical allusions to convey complex themes in an understandable manner.
Warsame's song "Laand Karuusar" criticized kleptocracy in the ruling military junta. She also blamed incompetent management for infrastructural dilapidation of Mogadishu's then two five-star hotels, establishments which had originally been built with public funds. Additionally, Warsame was one of several prominent Somali artists that took part in the long-running "Deelley" serial poem. She used the opportunity to defend the cause of northerners from the increasingly authoritarian southern-based regime.
After the start of the civil war in the 1990s, Warsame's compositions emphasized national identity and participation in the post-conflict reconstruction process. Her "Aan kuu Taliyo" humorously satirized political infighting. Warsame also supported former Vice President of Somalia Muhammad Ali Samatar during a civil lawsuit that had been filed against him in 2009, believing that he was being unfairly singled out as a member of the former regime.
In addition, Warsame was critical of the secessionist administration in Somalia's northwestern Somaliland region. She felt that the enclave's leadership was tyrannical and wanted to force a separatist agenda upon her northern constituents. Her song "Libdhimeyside Laas Caanood, Laba maahaa Waddankeennu" in particular hails the city of Las Anod, which Somaliland troops began occupying in 2007, for its historical role as the cradle of the nationalist and anti-colonial Dervish State. The title translates as "O Las Anod, you will always remain a part of Somalia, Our country is one."
Member of the Federal Parliament of Somalia
Following the establishment of the Federal Parliament of Somalia in 2012, Warsame moved to the capital Mogadishu, situated in the southeastern Banaadir province. She subsequently served as an MP in the new legislature, representing the northeastern Puntland regional state's constituency.
On 23 July 2014, Warsame and her driver were gunned down by unknown assailants in Mogadishu as she was being driven to a hotel. Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was part of its assassination campaign against Somali legislators. President of Somalia Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed, UN Special Representative for Somalia Nicholas Kay, Ambassador of Germany to Somalia Andreas Peschke, and the U.S. Department of State all issued statements condemning the assassination and expressing condolences to Warsame's family. Somali American community leaders in Minnesota also requested a full investigation by the State Department into her death. Additionally, Prime Minister Ahmed vowed to apprehend the perpetrators. In April 2015, two Al-Shabaab operatives were sentenced to death and later executed for Warsame's assassination and the murder of several other federal officials.
On 24 July 2014, the Federal Government held a state funeral in honour of Warsame at the Villa Somalia presidential compound in the capital. President Mohamud, Prime Minister Ahmed, Parliament Speaker Mohamed Osman Jawari, First Deputy Speaker of Parliament Jaylaani Nur Ikar, Mayor of Mogadishu Hassan Mohamed Hussein Mungab, cabinet ministers, legislators, popular artists and former colleagues all attended the service, where Janaza prayers were read. Warsame was subsequently laid to rest at the Medina Hospital cemetery in Mogadishu's Wadajir district.
- "Laand Karuusar"
- "Aan kuu Taliyo"
- "Libdhimeyside Laas Caanood, Laba maahaa Waddankeennu"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saado Ali Warsame.|
- "Madaxweynaha Somalia Iyo Masuuliyiin Kale Oo Ka Qaybgalay Aas Qaran Oo Loo Sameeyay Fanaanadii Caanka Ahayd Ee Marxuumad Saado Cali Warsame". Araweelo News. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Abdulla, Ali H. "Saado Sings for Las Anod". WardheerNews. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "DHAGEYSO COD:— Xildhibaan Saado Cali: Sool, Sanaag iyo Cayn Puntland ayay ka mid yihiin, Xildhibaanadana waa Lasoo Xulayaa". Gaafo. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "Fanaanada Saado Cali Warsame Oo Iska Casishay Xubinimadii Baarlamaanka Soomaaliya, + Puntland Iyo Khaatumo Oo Ku Loomaya Jagadaas Buuxinteeda". Shiniilenews. 23 March 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Somali lawmaker killed in Mogadishu drive-by shooting". Associated Press. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Somalia: Female MP gunned down in Mogadishu amid Ramadan rampage". Garowe Online. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "Swiss Review of World Affairs". Volumes 39-40 (Volumes 39-40): 67.
- "Somali lawmaker shot dead in drive-by shooting". AP. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "Somalia: MP murder sparks widespread condemnation". Garowe Online. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "SOMALIA: Germany Condemns Murder of Somali MP Saado Ali Warsame". Raxanreeb. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "United States Condemns the Killing of Somali MP Saado Ali Warsame in Mogadishu". Garowe Online. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- "Slain Somali Lawmaker Had Strong MN Ties". CBS Minnesota. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "SOMALIA: Prime Minister vows perpetrators of MP Saado Ali Warsame to be brought to book". Raxanreeb. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Somali court sentences alleged Al Shabaab members to death". Goobjoog. 6 April 2015. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "Killers of popular of Somali singer Executed in Public by Firing Squad". Goobjoog. 13 May 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Somalia: State Funeral held for popular musician, MP Saado". Garowe Online. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "SOMALIA: Slain MP Saado Ali Warsame laid to rest in Mogadishu". Raxanreeb. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Omar, Farid (8 June 2011). "Superstar Saado Ali Warsame Receives Gold Record Award Special". Wardheernews. Retrieved 26 June 2014.