Son of a Son of a Sailor
|Son of a Son of a Sailor|
|Studio album by Jimmy Buffett|
|Genre||Rock, Gulf and Western|
AA-1046 (U.S., 12")
|Jimmy Buffett chronology|
|The Village Voice||B|
Son of a Son of a Sailor is the eighth studio album by American popular music singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett. It was initially released in March 1978 as ABC Dunhill AA-1046 and later rereleased on its successor label, MCA.
Three singles from the album charted including "Cheeseburger in Paradise" (#32 on the Billboard Hot 100), "Livingston Saturday Night" (#52 Hot 100; #91 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart), and "Mañana" (#84 Country).
Two of the songs on Son of a Son of a Sailor are written by Keith Sykes and the remainder are written by Buffett. "Cheeseburger in Paradise" from the album appears on all of Buffett's major greatest hits collections and is a perennial concert favorite, one of "The Big 8" that he has played at almost every concert and which is the namesake of the Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant chain. "Livingston Saturday Night" is a remake of a significantly different version Buffett recorded for the 1975 Rancho Deluxe soundtrack with a number of lyrical changes (e.g., "fifteen may get you twenty" was "sixteen may get you twenty"). The Son of a Son of a Sailor version of the song also appeared on the soundtrack to the 1978 movie FM that featured a cameo appearance by Buffett. The album also includes the fan favorites "Son of a Son of a Sailor", "Cowboy in the Jungle", and "Mañana".
"Cheeseburger in Paradise"
Perennial concert favorite and the first single from Son of a Son of a Sailor
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
All songs written by Jimmy Buffett, except where noted.
- "Son of a Son of a Sailor" – 3:23
- "Fool Button" – 2:47
- "The Last Line" (Keith Sykes) – 3:38
- "Livingston Saturday Night" – 3:09
- "Cheeseburger in Paradise" – 2:51
- "Coast of Marseilles" (Keith Sykes) – 5:02
- "Cowboy in the Jungle" – 5:06
- "Mañana" – 4:00
- "African Friend" – 4:21
The Coral Reefer Band:
- Jimmy Buffett: Acoustic Guitar, Vocals
- Mike Utley: Keyboards
- Kenneth Buttrey: Drums and percussion
- Greg "Fingers" Taylor: Harmonica
- Steve Goodman: Guitar
- Tim Krekel: Guitar
- Harry Dailey: Bass
- Norbert Putnam: Bass, kalimba
- Jay Spell: Keyboards
- Harvey Thompson: Saxophone
- Farrell Morris: Percussion
- Billy Puett: Recorder, Bass flute
- The Sid Sharp Strings: Strings
- Deborah McColl: Background vocals
- Ginger Holladay: Background vocals
- Janie Fricke: Background vocals
- Larry Lee: Background vocals
- Lea Jane Berinati: Background vocals
- Penny Nichols: Background vocals
- "Cheeseburger in Paradise" b/w "African Friend" (Released on ABC Dunhill 12358 in March 1978)
- "Livingston Saturday Night" b/w "Cowboy In The Jungle" (Released on ABC Dunhill 12391 in July 1978)
- "Mañana" b/w "Coast of Marseilles" (Released on ABC Dunhill 12428 in November 1978)
- Christgau, Robert (June 26, 1978). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved September 19, 2015.