|Headquarters||Montebello, California, United States|
TASCAM is the professional audio division of TEAC Corporation, headquartered in Montebello, California. Tascam is credited as the inventor of the Portastudio, the first cassette-based multi-track home studio recorders. Tascam also introduced the first low-cost mass-produced multitrack recorders with Simul-Sync designed for recording musicians. Tascam also manufactured reel-to-reel tape machines and audio mixers for home recordists from the early 1970s through the mid-1990s.
Tascam started out as a research and development group to research how to use TEAC's recording technology in musician and recording studio products. The group was called TASC (TEAC Audio Systems Corp). The founders included Mr. K. Tani, one of the founders of TEAC-Japan and Dr. Abe, a senior TEAC-Japan engineer. In 1971 TASCAM (TASC AMerica Corp.) was founded to distribute TASC products in the U.S. It also conducted additional market research in the US for the Japanese parent company. The company's first headquarters was at 5440 McConnell Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90066. In 1974 it moved its headquarters to 7733 Telegraph Road, Montebello, California.
Tascam's first products were TEAC brand multitrack recorders. In 1972 it introduced the first low-cost mass-produced multitrack recorders with Simul-Sync:
- The A3340S 4-track recorder with 10.5" tape reels, 7½ and 15 ips speeds
- The A2340S 4-track recorder with 7" tape reels, 3¾ and 7½ ips speeds
In 1973 they introduced the first Tascam branded products:
- M-10 mixer
- Series 70H-X MTR
- Series 70H-8 MTR
On March 4, 1973 TEAC merged the Tascam Corporation into TEAC Corporation of America (TCA). TEAC-Japan retains the exclusive worldwide rights to the TASCAM brand name for their professional audio related products.
Notable and Industry Recognized Products
Portastudio and pocketstudio
- 144 - 1979, World's first 4 track recorder based on a standard cassette tape, 1982 Bruce Springsteen records Nebraska Album 2006 Mix magazine TECnology hall of fame
- Porta One Ministudio - 1984, First Battery operated portable studio.
- 388 Studio - 1985 World's first 8 track 1/4" multitrack and mixer combination.
- 564 - 1997 First MiniDisc based digital Portastudio.
- 788 - 2000 World's first 24 bit 8 track hard disk Portastudio
- 2488 24 Track Hard Drive based digital portastudio - 2004 Music Trades Magazine Product of the Year, MIPA Desktop Recording Workstation of the Year
- DP-02 8 track digital recorder - 2008 Music & Sound Retailer Best New Multitrack recorder
- DA-50 Pro DAT - 1989, First US-legal DAT tape recorder with SCMS Copy protection.
- MSR-24 24 Track 1" Open Reel Tape Deck - 1990 TEC Award Nominee
- DA-800/24 DASH 1990, 24 channel digital tape Recorder.
- DA-88 DTRS (tm) 8 Channel Digital Audio Recorder - 1994 TEC Award Winner, 1995 Emmy Award Winner, 1995 NAB Professional's Choice Award winner.
- DA-30mkII DAT - 1995 TEC Award Winner
- DA-38 DTRS - 1997 TEC Award Winner
- DA-98 DTRS - 1997 PAR Excellence Award, 1998 NAB Professional's Choice Award, 1998 TEC Award Winner
- DA-302 DAT - 1997 World's first Dual DAT deck. 1997 PAR Excellence Award Winner.
- DA-98HR 24 bit DTRS - 1998 Post Magazine Best Multitrack Digital Recorder.
- DA-45HR 24 bit DAT - World's First 24 bit DAT Recorder. 1998 PAR Excellence Award Winner, 1998 Keyboard Magazine Key Buy.
- DA-78HR 24 bit DTRS - 1999 Pro Audio Review PAR Excellence Award, 2000 TEC award Winner
- MMR-8 / MMR-16 8 channel Hard Disk Recorder - 2000 Emmy Award Winner, 2001 Oscar Scientific Award Winner.
- MX-2424 24 channel 96 kHz Hard Disk Recorder - 1999 PAR Excellence Award Winner, 2001 TEC Award winner.
- DS-D98 2 Channel DSD Recorder Based on DA-98HR - 2002 TEC Award Nominee.
- HD-P2 Portable Timecode enabled CF card 2 channel recorder - 2006 PAR Award Winner.
- DV-RA1000HD DVD and Hard Drive based 2 Channel Master DSD Recorder - 2007 TEC Award Winner.
- X-48 48 channel 96 kHz Hard Disk Recorder. - 2008 TEC Award Nominee
- DR-100 2 Channel Hand Held Recorder - 2009 TEC Award Nominee
- HS-P82 8 Channel Dual CF Media Field Recorder - 2009 PAR Excellence Award, 2010 Good Design Award
- DR-03 Portable Handheld Recorder - 2010 Music & Sound Retailers Best Multitrack Award
- DR-680 8 channel portable SD card recorder - 2011 TEC Award Nominee
- DR-40 Handheld 4-track recorder - 2012 EM Magazine Editors Choice Awards
- DR-60D 4 track recorder for DSLR Cameras - 2013 NAB Best of Show Award
- M-700 Analog Mixer - 1989 dubbed "the Baby SSL"
- M-3700 Analog Mixer - 1992 TEC Award Nominee
- M-2600 Analog Mixer - 1995 TEC Award Nominee
- M-1600 Analog Mixer - 1997 TEC Award Nominee
- TM-D8000 Digital Audio Mixer - 1996 Blue Ribbon Best of AES Convention, 1998 TEC Award Nominee
- TM-D4000 Digital Audio Mixer - 2000 TEC Award Nominee
- DM-24 Digital Audio Mixer - 2002 TEC Award winner
- DM-4800 64 channel Digital Audio Mixer - 2007 TEC Award Nominee
Computer Audio Interfaces and Controllers
- US-428 - 2001 TEC Award Nominee
- FW-1884 - FireWire Audio and Control Surface - 2003 PAR Excellence Award
- US-122 - 2004 Soundcheck magazine Best Audio/MIDI Hardware
- US-2400 - 24 Fader USB Controller - 2004 Mix Magazine NAMM Show Certified Hit
- US-322 / US-366 - 2013 Visual Grand Prix Gold Award.
- Gigastudio 3 Sampler - 2004 Mix Magazine Certified Hit, 2005 TEC Award Winner, 2006 EM Editors's choice Award, 2006 MIPA Award.
- CD-GT1 CD Based Trainer with time stretch and pitch change.
- TA-1VP - Channel Strip with Antares AutoTune - 2011 TEC Award Nominee
- "A Little Tascam History Lesson". TASCAM Forums. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "News :: Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" - A PortaStudio, two SM57's, and Inspiration". TASCAM. 2007-07-25. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "1979 TEAC Portastudio". Mix. 2006-09-01. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- "TASCAM 788". Sound On Sound. February 2001. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "News :: TASCAM 2488 is Music Trades' Product of the Year". TASCAM. 2007-04-02. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "News :: TASCAM 2488 24-TRACK WORKSTATION garners awards". TASCAM. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Portastudio Trademark
- Pocketstudio Trademark
- "The TEC Awards 1990 Winners". 1990. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "Reel to Reel Tape Recorder Manufacturers - TEAC corporation • Tascam". Museum of Magnetic Sound Recording. 2001-07-20. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- DTRS Trademark
- 1994 TEC Award Winners
- 1995 Primetime Emmys 1995 Primetine Emmys
- "The TEC Awards 1995 Winners". 1995. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "The TEC Awards 1997 Winners". 1997. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "The TEC Awards 1998 Winners". 1998. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "The TEC Awards 2000 Winners". Tecfoundation.com. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Mix Magazine May 17, 2001 Mix Magazine May 17, 2001
- VP Of Engineering at Timeline Vista
- Academy Awards, USA (2001)
- 2001 TEC award winners
- 2002 TEC award winners
- on 11.02.2006. "PAR Excellence Awards Announced". Radio World. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- 2007 TEC award winners
- "The TEC Awards 2008 Nominees". Tecfoundation.com. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "The TEC Awards 2009 Nominees". Tecfoundation.com. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- "2009 PAR Excellence Award Winners Announced". Prosound Network. 2009-10-20. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "PORTABLE MULTITRACK FIELD RECORDER [TASCAM POTABLE MULTITRACK FIELD RECORDER HS-P82] | Complete list of the winners | Good Design Award". G-mark.org. 2009-12-30. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "The Retailer Online". Msretailer.com. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "The 27th TEC Awards Nominees for Technical Achievement". Tecfoundation.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Editors' Choice Awards 2012". Emusician.com. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "News :: TASCAM DR-60D Announced as NAB 2013 Best of Show by Pro Sound Network!". TASCAM. 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "ProSoundNetwork NAB Best of Show Awards". Prosound Network. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Tascam DR-60D 4-Channel Linear PCM RecorderDR-60D B&H Photo". Bhphotovideo.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- 30 Years of Recording Evolution
- The TEC Awards 1992
- "News :: AWARDS BESTOWED ON TASCAM'S FW-1884". TASCAM. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "News :: TASCAM 2488 AWARDED INDUSTRY HONORS". TASCAM. 2007-03-28. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "News :: MIX DECLARES TASCAM GIGASTUDIO 3, US-2400 "CERTIFIED HITS"". TASCAM. 2007-03-28. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "VGP2013 SUMMER結果発表". Visualgrandprix.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "The TEC Awards 2005 Winners". Tecfoundation.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "2006 EDITORS CHOICE". Emusician.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "News :: GigaStudio wins 2006 MIPA Award". TASCAM. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to TASCAM.|