United Nations Statistics Division
The United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), formerly the United Nations Statistical Office, serves under the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) as the central mechanism within the Secretariat of the United Nations to supply the statistical needs and coordinating activities of the global statistical system. The Division is overseen by the United Nations Statistical Commission, established in 1947, as the apex entity of the global statistical system and highest decision making body for coordinating international statistical activities. It brings together the Chief Statisticians from member states from around the world.
The Division compiles and disseminates global statistical information, develops standards and norms for statistical activities, and supports countries’ efforts to strengthen their national statistical systems.
The Division regularly publishes data updates, including the Statistical Yearbook and World Statistics Pocketbook, and books and reports on statistics and statistical methods. Many of the Division's databases are also available at its site (See below), as electronic publications and data files in the form of CD-ROMs, diskettes and magnetic tapes, or as printed publications. UNdata, a new internet-based data service for the global user community brings UN Statistical databases within easy reach of users through a single entry point. Users can search and download a variety of statistical resources of the UN system.
Including acting directors
|Stefan Schweinfest||Germany||July 1, 2014 – onward|
|Stefan Schweinfest (acting)||Germany||April 2013 – June 2014|
|Willem de Vries (acting)||The Netherlands||2002–2004|
|Patrick J. Loftus||UK||1962–1972|
|William R. Leonard||USA||1948–1962|
- Classification of the Functions of Government
- International Standard Industrial Classification
- UN M.49
- United Nations geoscheme
- List of national and international statistical services
- Committee for the Coordination of Statistical Activities (CCSA)
- United Nations
- United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names
- "United Nations Glossary of Environment Statistics" (PDF). Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- United Nations Statistics Division
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- United Nations Economic and social development
- United Nations Statistical Commission
- UN Comtrade