Wendy McElroy speaking in Springfield, Illinois, September 16, 2006.
1951 (age 64–65)|
Sex and feminism
Among feminists, McElroy identifies herself as being sex-positive, defending the availability of pornography and condemning anti-pornography feminism campaigns. Citing prior work by Greg Lukianoff, she has also voiced criticism of sexual harassment policies, particularly grade-school zero-tolerance policies - which she considers to be "far too broad and vague" and based on "biased reports".
Capitalism and government
In explaining her position in regard to capitalism, McElroy says she has a "marked personal preference for capitalism as the most productive, fair and sensible economic system on the face of the earth," but recognizes that the free market also enables other economic systems. She says what she wants for society is "not necessarily a capitalistic arrangement but a free market system in which everyone can make the peaceful choices they wish with their own bodies and labor", and therefore describes herself as a supporter of free market economics.
She credits Murray Rothbard's book Man, Economy, and State: A Treatise on Economic Principles as being "solely responsible for turning [her] from the advocacy of limited government to a lifetime of work within the individualist-anarchist tradition."
George H. Smith
McElroy has repeatedly worked with George H. Smith, another well-known anarcho-capitalist author. But in 2015 the relationship between McElroy and Smith became rancorous, to the point where McElroy complained of "sexual slander," victimization and exploitation.
- National Identification Systems: Essays in Opposition, by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2004 ISBN 0-7864-1595-9
- Debates of Liberty: An Overview of Individualist Anarchism, 1881–1908, February 1, 2003 ISBN 0-7391-0473-X
- Liberty for Women: Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee. 2002. ISBN 978-1566634359. OCLC 260069067.
- Sexual Correctness: The Gender-Feminist Attack on Women, June 2001
- Dissenting Electorate: Those Who Refuse to Vote and the Legitimacy of Their Opposition by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2001
- Individualist Feminism of the Nineteenth Century: Collected Writings and Biographical Profiles, January 1, 2001
- Queen Silver: The Godless Girl (Women's Studies (Amherst, N.Y.) by Wendy McElroy, Queen Selections Silver, December 1, 1999 – about her friend Queen Selections Silver. Silver was a left-wing anarchist, but despite vigorous political difference, the two remained close.
- Freedom, Feminism, and the State by Wendy McElroy, Lewis Perry, February 1, 1999
- The Reasonable Woman: A Guide to Intellectual Survival, April 1, 1998
- XXX: A Woman's Right to Pornography by Wendy McElroy, Prelude Pr, 1995, ISBN 0-312-13626-9
- Liberty, 1881–1908: A Comprehensive Index, January 1982
- McElroy, Wendy. "You Are What You Read?". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Sexual Harassment Policies Need Reform". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Capitalism versus the free market". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Rothbard as System-Builder: A Tribute". Liberty Magazine.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Let a Thousand Leaks Bloom". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Follow Up To My Husband's Open Letter to Sharon Presley".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wendy McElroy.|
- Home Page
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Mises.org archive
- LewRockwell.com archive
- Fox News site articles by McElroy
- McElroy columns on The Intellectual Conservative
- An interview with Wendy McElroy
- FEE Authors: Wendy McElroy
- Wendy McElroy at Goodreads