English language in Algeria
|Languages of Algeria|
|Vernacular||Algerian Arabic, Algerian Berber, Algerian French|
|Foreign||English, French, Spanish|
|Signed||Algerian Sign Language|
|Part of a series on the|
According to the Euromonitor International site, the English language was spoken in 2012 by 7% of Algerians, and learning this language is also explained by the fact that many Algerians have emigrated to the United Kingdom and other English-speaking countries.
It was only the Arabic-speaking newspaper Echorouk El Yawmi which tried in collaboration with the British Council to popularize the English language in Algeria by devoting one to two pages per week for initiation into this language.
- Lewis, M. Paul, ed. (2009). "Languages of Algeria". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (sixteenth edition). SIL International. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "Algeria seeks to replace French with English at university, sparks 'language war' | | AW". Thearabweekly.com. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- Benrabah, Prof Mohamed (2013). Language Conflict in Algeria: From Colonialism to Post-Independence. Multilingual Matters. ISBN 978-1-84769-966-4.
- Belmihoub, Kamal (June 2018). "English in a multilingual Algeria". World Englishes. 37 (2): 207–227. doi:10.1111/weng.12294.
- The Benefits of the English Language for Individuals and Societies: Quantitative Indicators from Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Tunisia and Yemen. Euromonitor International. April 2012.
- Nadia, Rezig (1 January 2011). "Teaching English in Algeria and Educational Reforms: An Overview on the Factors Entailing Students Failure in Learning Foreign Languages at University". Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 29: 1327–1333. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.370.
- "English for Development" (PDF). www.cambridgeenglish.org. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- "Teaching English as a Foreign Language in the Algerian Secondary Schools" (PDF). thesis.univ-biskra.dz. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- "Teach English in Algeria | How to start teaching in Algeria". Theteflacademy.com. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- Nadia, Rezig (2011). "Teaching English in Algeria and Educational Reforms: An Overview on the Factors Entailing Students Failure in Learning Foreign Languages at University". Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 29: 1327–1333. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.370.
- "MÉTHODAL OpenLab - Challenges Facing the Algerian Educational System in Teaching English as a (...)". Methodal.net. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- Miliani, Mohamed (2001). "Teaching English in a multilingual context : the Algerian case". Mediterranean Journal of Educational Studies. 6 (1): 13–29.
- Belhandouz, Halima (March 2011). "Teaching science in Algeria: pedagogical shortfalls and conflicts of meaning". The Journal of North African Studies. 16 (1): 99–116. doi:10.1080/13629387.2010.529655. S2CID 144185408.
- "Teaching English | British Council". Britishcouncil.dz. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- Le Roux, Cheryl S. (4 May 2017). "Language in education in Algeria: a historical vignette of a 'most severe' sociolinguistic problem". Language & History. 60 (2): 112–128. doi:10.1080/17597536.2017.1319103. S2CID 218668883.