Tamahaq (Tahaggart Tamahaq, Tamahaq Tahaggart) is the only known Northern Tuareg language, spoken in Algeria, western Libya and northern Niger. It varies little from the Southern Tuareg languages of the Aïr Mountains, Azawagh and Adagh. The differences mostly consist of sound substitutions, such as Tamahaq instead of Tamajaq or Tamasheq.
|Native to||Algeria, Libya, Niger|
There are three main varieties of Tamahaq:
- Tahaggart, spoken around the Ahaggar Mountains in southern Algeria by the Kel Ahaggar confederation
- Ajjer, spoken by the Kel Ajjer confederation
- Ghat, spoken around Djanet in southeast Algeria and Ghat in Libya.
According to Blench (2006), Tahaggart and Ghat are distinct Tuareg languages.
- Tamahaq at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Endangered Languages Project data for Tahaggart Tamahaq.